Thursday, January 7, 2010

Haters (Rachel Nicewarner)

Haters, Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez, Little, Brown and Company, 351pgs
I decided to read the book Haters because it was recommended to me by a good friend. They know I hate reading but they felt that reading this book I wouldn’t be able to put it down and they were correct. Once I started reading the first page I just wanted more.
The main character in Haters is a junior high school girl named Pasquala Rumalda Quintana de Archuleta (“Paski”). She lives in Taos, New Mexico where she is popular, has two best friends, and has her first boyfriend, until her father gets a job in California as a cartoonist and her life ends as she knows it. On leaving day she goes to say good-bye to her grandmother and in her last visit she gives Paski a necklace she made for her. The necklace has magical powers and from that day forward she can see little visions of things that would happen, even about people she didn’t know at all. When arriving to her new Southern California School she learns very quickly about the rulers of the school, known as the Haters. The Hater, Jessica Nguyen, troubles her by being the girlfriend of the very sexy, Chris Cabrera. To find out who gets the guy you must read this wonderful, on the edge book.
I believe this book is for high school students, boys and girls because it teaches and shows all the little inside things you need to know and will learn about throughout your high school years.
The writing style of this book is mostly casual. Barley any slang is used and Valdes-Rodriguez uses descriptive words to make it seem as if you were there and you can see everything and every detail, “I look as casually as I can to the left and see a guy in faded jeans and a tight-fitting zip-front black sweatshirt, the kind with racing stripes on the sleeves and a turtleneck. The kind that shows off a young man’s muscles if he has them, and this guy does.”(50)
“Like he’s caught. I am only sixteen years old, but already I am tired of the way males seem to think it’s okay to have more than one girlfriend.”(68) This passage struck because my parents have always told me, “the guys never change”, and I just find it funny when a book tells me the same thing that my parents have been telling me for years, that I have chose to not believe.
“I see a few girls hobble past in hoochie outfits, but every school has those kinds of girls.”(60) Not in a judgmental way but this is true. Every school has clicks that dress, talk, or walk a certain way and there is no way around it. Although this doesn’t mean just because you’re not part of a certain click they aren’t nice or caring, they are just like you.
I think the theme of this book is to believe in yourself and never think you are not just as good as someone else. We may look or talk different but deep down we are all the same. “’I’m Tina,’ she says. I notice that in spite of all the unfriendly clothing choices, she is a really pretty girl.”(79)
B+, I give this grade because even though you never want to put it down it wouldn’t necessarily be my first choice. At some points in the book I do disagree with the author but overall I agree and see it mostly all in my life.

7 comments:

  1. I do not think I would consider reading this book. It seems like the audience is directed generally to teenage girls. I do not agree with what Pasquala when she was complaining about moving to California. Instead of thinking it was the "end of her life", I would have at least attempted to have some fun and enjoy myself.

    -Mike Cote

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems "too dramatic" for me. To me this book is more of a book that's out there to high school girls, not guys. I feel that because in all honesty I don't think I'd read something like this. I'm not trying to bash on Rachel for reading this book. I'm just trying to say that it's something that I would not be much interested in.

    -Kevin Stefanik

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kevin on this. This book seems more of a girl's book. But I don't know that for a fact. I thought My Sister's Keeper was going to be horrible and I actually liked it. But it really does sound like more of a "that's my boyfriend b***h!" book. It doesn't sound like a book a guy would like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book seems very interesting. However, I do not think I would read this book. This type of book is for girls. But the book helps inspire teens. Thos types of books are important for kids everywhere. Blue Disley

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book seems interesting and descriptive, however this book does not interest me at all. The audience is intended for a young female audience. She describes the story very well but the main character seems very dramatic and complains about moving.

    -Garrett Biela

    ReplyDelete
  6. To some, this book may seem like one that could intrest you. It seems as though this book is intended for the female gender, and therefor i do not plan on reading it. In other peoples opinions, this book may be a good read because it is easy to get through it and you don't want to put it down. Rachel did a very good job with her discription of the book and gave me a good idea about the book.

    -Tyler Hersom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel this book sounds like a fast pase reading because you would always want to find out whats happening with the girls. I would most likely like this book because seeing as how we are juniors now, and have these situations in life, we can relate more towards the book. I agree completly of the quotes you picked, that there are specific groups in school and it will always be that way.

    -Shannon Engelson

    ReplyDelete