Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Crank

Book Title: Crank Author: Ellen Hopkins
Pages: 537 Publisher: Simon and Schuster Inc.
Why did you decide to read the book? One of my friends recommended it to me.
Brief Summary of Book (6-8 sentences): The novel Crank by Ellen Hopkins portrays an average 15 year old girl with straight A report cards and how even the most unlikely of people can become caught up in the wrong crowd. On a court-ordered visit to see her father, Katrina meets a boy about her own age named Adam. Not too long after meeting him, Adam introduces Katrina to what she refers to as ‘the monster’. ‘The monster’ is the term she uses for cocaine. When Adam first asked Katrina to try blow she was a bit reluctant at first, but eventually gave in. Once she realized how great this new drug made her feel, Katrina started in a long spiraling downfall that took her way too long to figure out. Katrina’s addiction to coke was becoming far out of control.
Audience: The audience for this book is probably more towards teenagers and young adults since the events and struggles depicted within this novel are quite similar to that of people around that age.
Writing Style: This novel was written somewhat like a journal or diary.
Description – This style of writing uses language of a teenager in a diary format.
Vocabulary:
Word- Tempestuous Definition- Characterized or subject to tempests.
Sentence & page it came from – “It had been a tempestuous week, snared by emotions rubbing me so raw I hurt at night.” (84)
Word- Ogling Definition- To eye; look or stare at.
Sentence & page it came from – “He scoped me out like an old tomcat, ogling a brand-new canary.” (250)
Passage #1: “Sleepy. Not “high” at all, but real low. And real slow. Not my idea of a party, except the munchies part. I wanted to meet the monster. Why go down if you can go up?”
Passage #2: “I’m not afraid, Chase. Not of him. Not with him. In fact, I felt safe. It was monster desire that made me tremble. Chase noticed.”
Theme: Awareness of what you are doing.
Letter Grade: A-
I felt I did a fairly well job at summarizing the story plot and the quotations fit the theme pretty well.

7 comments:

  1. C- SE
    This book sounds kind of sad because this girl sounds so school smart, why would she follow down the wrong path? I think that peer pressure could have been a huge factor because she wants to impress this new guy in her life. I would like to read this book because you say that she meets Adam on a court-ordered visit to see her father, but where and how did she meet him. I would like to learn more about this book because it sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G-CP Extra Credit
    A few of my friends told me that I really should read this book. It does sound like a really good book. It also sounds really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not see myself reading this book. I feel like this book would be a chick flick a girl has to DRAG their boyfriend to go see. Teenage girl problems are annoying and not interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This novel sounds intense because it is written in the format of a diary. Plus the main character gets addicted to cocaine, which is a highly addictive drug. I pity Katrina because she gets pressured by Adam to do drugs in the first place. The passages make the reader realize that drugs are a problem. I think that teen-agers would stay away from drugs ,if they talked to someone who had done them. That way they would take it more seriously. I would definately read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. E-JM
    This book sounds really interesting and filled with drama and chaos. I love that the book is written in a diary format. I have never read a book like that. It also sounds interesting that it is written in the voice of a teenage. I think I would connect with that style of diction. This story line is sadly very common nowadays. I think I would love reading this book. I definitely will put this on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. C-EA
    This book seems like it is pretty good. When it's written in diary format you really get to see what the narrarator is feelling. It also deals with drugs and that people should learn the effects on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. E-AR-EC
    I have never heard of this book before, but it does sound interesting. I like how the main character refers to it as the "monster." I believe that, that is the perfect name. Cocaine can distroy a person who thought they had it made. It is sad sometimes which how some people turn out. By reading the passages I don't think I could read this book just because of the writing style.

    ReplyDelete