Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Nights in Rodanthe

Book Title: Nights In Rodanthe
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Pages: 222 Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Why did you decide to read the book?
I chose this book because the author also wrote The Notebook. The Notebook is one of my all time favorites, so I figured if I liked that book then I must like this one as well.
Brief Summary of Book (6-8 sentences): Nights In Rodanthe is written by the same author of The Notebook, so right away you know it is a “chick” book. Adrienne had a high school sweetheart, Paul. They had a trip to Rodanthe and it was perfect, till he left. She never forgot him but eventually she married a guy, Jake. They had three children together but Jake was a very busy business man and had no time for his family. Adrienne noticed the marriage getting worse but refused to mention it. One day she walked in a restaurant to find Jake and his partner Linda sitting together and got the site of them holding hands. She forced herself to not believe it but deep down she knew it happened. As the years pasted they drifted and he eventually asked her for a divorce. Her heart was ripped apart twice now and wondered if it would ever heal?
Audience: The audience is women or mature teenage girls. Writing Style: The writing style is very deep and formal. At the same time you get some “slang”.
Description - At points the subject of sex is brought up also marriage is talked about and you have to have some sort of understanding of love. This is a very mature book and I don’t really recommend it to guys.
Passage – “Was it just the sex he was after? Sure, Linda was both younger and prettier, but was it really that important to him that he’d throw away everything else in his life? Didn’t the kids mean anything? Didn’t she? Didn’t the eighteen years together?” (45)
Vocabulary: The vocabulary is “older” words. As in most teenagers won’t understand or really know the meaning unless looked up or taken into the context.
Word: Penetrate Definition: To pierce or pass into or through; To enter the interior of
Sentence & page it came from: The warmth of his hands seemed to penetrate into her bones. (139)
Passage #1: “The kids were fourteen, thirteen, and eleven when Jack moved out of the house, and each child had dealt with the divorce in a different way. Matt and Dan took their aggression on the athletic fields and by occasionally acting up in school, but Amanda had been the most affected.” (4) This stuck out to me because when my parents got divorce my brother and I both handled it differently. He was very angry and would act up in school and I would stick my head in school and sports. Every child really does handle divorce differently and it is truly a hard thing for them to go through.
Passage #2: ”She pretended it hadn’t happened, and in time, she was able to convince herself that she’d been mistaken about what was going on between them.”(43) This passage sticks out to me because my mother made herself believe that the divorce didn’t happen, that my dad still loved her and wanted to be with her. Through the years she had learned though that that wasn’t the true story and has now moved on but for about thirteen years she told herself otherwise. She always thought my dad would walk back through the door and take her back.
Theme: The theme of this book I find is to teach about love and how true love is never lost. You have to look deep into people and don’t just throw the word “love” around. It means much more than anyone can ever understand.
Letter Grade: A- I personally love the, The Notebook and this book follows around the same lines. Romance books always get me hooked; I’ll definitely be reading this book again and finding the movie to see.

10 comments:

  1. A Block- MM
    I also really loved the Notebook, but I didn't know that this book is by the same author. I started watching the movie a while ago, but ended up falling asleep and hour into it because it was late. Now I know that I have to find the book and read it. The first passage that you chose really struck me becasue my parents got divorced too, and it affected my two sisters much differently that it affected me when it first happened. I think that you did a really great job describing the book and giving the review because I'm extrememly interested in the book now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read this book, but I love Nicholas Sparks novels. I saw the preview for this movie and it looked pretty good. Do you think the movie is a lot different from the book? The first passage struck me because I feel bad for the family. My parents aren't divorce but I'm sure it is really tough dealing with your parents divorce. I'm sure a lot of kids can relate to the kids dealing with their parents divorce.

    E-LH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn’t know that this book was also written by Nicholas Sparks. I too loved the Notebook. When the previews were out for this book I wanted to see it but never got around to it. After reading the review this is something to keep in mind for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. E-AS
    I think that this seems like a really good book. Nicholas Sparks is my favorite author so I think I would really like it. If it is anything like The Notebook or Dear John I know that I would really like it. I think that this will be the next book I read because I have gotten a lot of recommendations for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. C-SE
    This book sounds amazing, not to mention that this is my all time favorite movie. It sounds different from the movie though, because in the movie they only have two kids and it doesnt really say she knew Paul before watching the hotel in Rodanthe. I also love the notebook, so i think i might read this book just to see if i like the book or movie better. I think you connected well with the passages seeing as your parents went through a divorce and that can be pretty tough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. C-MC-EC
    I really wanted to see this movie when i first had seen the commercial. The books sounds just as good. I agree with SE when they said it sounds a little different from the movie. I like what you graded it, because it makes me want to read it if you thought it was really that good. I think i might consider reading it for our final outside reading project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. E-JM
    I saw this movie awhile ago and thought it was pretty good. Like most movies based on books, the book is probably a lot better. Also, the movie is probably a little different. I am a big fan of Nicholas Sparks. His books are romantic, heartfelt, and send a great message to the readers. I like the passages you used because I can relate to them in different ways. I will definitely put this on my books to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a perfect book for me. I'm definitely reading it fourth quaurter! My mother saw the movie and said that she loved it. I'm really excited I read your blog, it has inspired me. I love the plot description you gave. I'm excited to read it. Especially since it's the same person who wrote "The Notebook" which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. E-AR
    I have read Dear John, which is by Nichlas Sparks, so I may read this one. It seems like Sparks kind of book, because there is always heartbreak at the end. I am not sure if I would totally like this book, because I like to read more teenage love then adult. When I was reading the first passage, I thought that it really is hard for the kids when their parents get a divorce. I understand that people fall out of love, but they need to think of their children first. Maybe ease them into it, or try not to get the kids to hate the other parent. I don't know, I just think it is sad when people can't fight for their love. Anyways sounds like a good book, maybe I will read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A-ML
    Nicholas Sparks is one of my favorite authors. I have read The Notebook, and I have seen the movie Dear John, based on his novel. I read a lot of books because I have seen the movies before. I saw commercials for this movie and I was hesitant to see it because it was about adult love, and that I wouldn't be able to relate to it. I would like to read this book based on this description though, it seems similar to a lot of the other Nicholas Sparks books.

    ReplyDelete