Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why

Book Title: Th1rteen R3asons Why Author: Jay Asher
Pages: 288 Publishers: Penguin Group
Why did you decide to read the book? I decided to read this book because it seemed very interesting. Also a friend read it before and suggested it and since I have no other book to read I gave it a shot.
Brief Summary of Book (6-8 sentences): In the book Clay Jensen returns home and on his doorstep there is a mysterious box with his name of it. At first he does not think anything of it till he listens to the first tape and he hears the voice of Hannah Baker, she was his crush however, what shocks him the most is that how is he hearing her voice when she committed suicide two weeks ago. Clay is on of the reasons why Hannah committed suicide however Clay has to listen to the tapes to find out what number reason he is. Clay goes through a journey all over town to fallow Hannah’s last step, and most importantly to find out the reason why she killed herself. In the way he finds thirteen reasons why she decided to take her life.
Audience: The audience for this book would be young adults, teenagers. I believe this because the scene is set in high school and many teenagers can relate to the environment. It also shows some things that really happen in high school and you can say “wow I know how that feels” Writing Style: The writing style of the author is really simple and easy to understand. She also gives the Hannah her own style. She uses a lot of sarcasm and tries to make it funny.
Description - Simple sentences having some sarcasm in it too.
Passage - “Now why would a dead girl lie? Hey! That sounds like a joke. Why would a dead girl lie” (08)
Vocabulary:
Word: Anthology
Definition: a collection of selected writing by an author
Sentence & page it came from: “Here, Courtney is your contribution to the anthology of my life.”(96)
Theme: The theme of the book could be many things. However, there is a bigger picture involving the theme of the book. The theme is that even though it looks innocent the doings of your classmates and yours can cause a poor kids do the unthinkable. This is commit suicide.

Passage #1: “A rumor based on a kiss ruined a memory that I hoped would be special. A rumor based on a kiss started a reputation that other people believed in and reacted to. And sometimes a rumor based on a kiss has a snowball effect” (30-31) this is a critical part of the book because this is where Hannah goes downhill and starts thinking about killing herself.
Passage #2: “But I didn’t need it spun around, because the first time I read that paper it was upside down on Jimmy’s desk: WHOS”S HOT/WHO’S NOT. Hannah she said I don’t care that he picked you over me.” (64-65) this is very importing to the theme because after this Hannah’s so called friend starts to talk behind her back and causes her to be even more depressed and sad.
Letter Grade: I would give the book the letter grade of an A for a few reasons. For one it deals with a sensitive issue that we never really learn about and teaches you that what you do say affects people. It is also very well written and the plot is a good nail bitter and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

9 comments:

  1. This novel seems like it is a little depressing. If the author writes with sarcasm at times, then it must lighten up the mood. I thought that the first passage exemplified how high school is. It is a shame that people spread rumors for their own pleasure. I like that Clay has the drive to find out why Hannah committed suicide. I think it's a good adventure to do in her honor. This is a book that I would consider reading in my spare time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-GS-EC
    This book sounds very sad. I feel like every kid in our school should read this. I feel like we can all relate, and maybe even learn a few things from it. I feel like it would be easy to read, and understand, but maybe even a little confusing with what Clay is trying to figure out. I like how you said the author gives Hannah her own writing style, to make her stands out from everyone else. I would definitely consider reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Block- MM extra credit
    So many of my friends have read this book and they all say the it's one of the best books they've ever read. Now after reading your review, I might look into it. The first passage that you chose can basically sum up high school in a nut shell: rumors. Unfortuantely a lot of drama that goes on in high school is due to gossip and rumors. This book seems like it keeps you guessing until the end. Those are my favorite books to read because I like the surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Block MB extra credit
    I read this book last quarter and it was sooooooooooooooooo goood. it has become a favorite book of mine and i couldnt put it down. I would always want to read a page here and there no matter where i went just to find out what would happen next. I like the way this book gets the thoughts of clay while hannah tells her story. This book also made me really think about the effect that you put on others by things you say or do. I guess you really never know whatll be the last thing that you say to a person. This book would be a book that i would recommend south hadley students to read. weve all been through a tough year and i just think that this book puts out so many messages and life lessons. youre summary was really good and descriptive and you used really good supporting quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A-JC This book sounds very interesting. i would definitly read a book like this. its wierd how your summary sounded so sad, then when you described the writing style you said there were a lot of jokes. this sounds like a book every high school student should read. it seems like a book that keeps the reader wanting more and more and in this case wanting to know all thirteen reasons why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. E-block/KT
    This book sounds very interesting. I also think that South Hadley High School students should read this book because it shows how every person has their difficult times and needs the comfort of those around them. Although I haven't read this yet, I would definitely give it a try.
    Very nice summary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever since I've heard of this book, I wanted to read it. I think there is a huge life lesson in this story on treating people how you want to be treated. You have to be careful what you say because you never know how someone is really feeling, and if you see someone upset, help don't just sit back and watch. Any student of any school should read this book and could relate to it immensly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds crazy! That is nuts that she committed suicide and was sending him tapes. It's kind of like "P.S. I love You" but not happy. That's sad, but I think this book sounds very interesting. I've never heard of it before so maybe I'll read it sometime.

    ReplyDelete