Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tricks

Book Title: Tricks Author: Ellen Hopkins
Pages: 625 Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing Division
Why did you decide to read the book?
After reading Crank and Burned I grew a liking for the writing style of Hopkins. So I decided to read another of her novels, Tricks.
Brief Summary of Book (6-8 sentences):
Tricks is a story about five teenagers from all across the country. Each is very different, varying from male to female, gay to straight, rich to poor, family to no family. One is even famous; nevertheless they are all similar for the reason that they are trying to live their life the best they can. Turns out that in attempt to find family, freedom, safety, and love, the three little words, “I love you,” are being said for the completely wrong reasons. It starts out as five different stories but slowly they begin to intertwine with one another to form a much larger and more powerful story. Although I enjoyed it, I did not think it was as good as Burned, and not nearly as good as Crank.
Audience: The intended audience for this novel is teenager’s to young adults based on that it is the story of five different people of this age group; allowing the reader to relate to it in one way or another.
Writing Style: The writing style of Tricks is very secretive and informal, considering the ‘secret’ messages that Hopkins includes throughout the story.
Description – While reading a page somewhere in Tricks, the section has multiple meanings, depending on how you read it. The way she spaces out the words allows the reader to read it more than one way.
Passage - “By a glimpse of light, I am reminded how precious is freedom. Swallowed by darkness, emptied of tears, the song of the desert calls to me and I know to find a way beyond these plywood walls, I must become someone I don’t want to know. I hope the real me will follow. And I pray the Lord understands my reasons. Forgives.” (Hopkins 408.) The way it is written, the bold words are spaced out on the right of the page, and the non-bold words are in sections on the left side of the page.
Vocabulary:
Procession- the act of proceeding in orderly succession; or in a formal and ceremonious manner, as a line of people, animals, vehicles, etc.
“The fall, in relentless procession, summer rain upon parched playa, relentless.” (Hopkins 327)
Succinctly- expressed in few words; concise.
“But to have it put so succinctly, long distance, is a two-fisted gut punch." (Hopkins 356)
Theme: The theme of Tricks is not to think lowly of yourself, but rather be proud of who you are.
Letter Grade:

2 comments:

  1. A-GS-EC
    This book sounds kind of interesting. Since it starts off as five different stories, I feel like it would be a little confusing at first to read, but I'm sure it would get better. I've always wanted to read Crank, but since you said this book is not nearly as good as it, I don't know if I would consider reading this book. Although I do feel like it would be easy to relate too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this book sounds very good. I like reading from different peoples perspective. Since theres five people you would get five different stories. I also like reading stories that could happen in real life, and this sounds like one that is very relating to the outside world today.
    E-SK

    ReplyDelete