Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cell

Book Title: Cell       Author: Stephen King     
Pages: 449    Publisher: Pocket Books     
Why did you decide to read the book? My mom went to a bookstore in Rhode island and I had told her I wanted to read a Stephen King book. When she went into the store, she asked the owner what the best Stephen King book was and he gave her Cell.      
Brief Summary of Book (6-8 sentences): Clayton Riddell’s life seems to have just taking a turn for the best. When everything seems great, a secret organization delivers a phenomenon to the millions of people living in the United States of America. They called it “The Pulse”, and the way it got to the people was through the millions of cell phones in the hands of nearly every American in the country. The phenomenon delivers messages to people’s cells that turn them into zombies, and the zombies start to terrorize everything. Throughout the book, Clayton struggles to stay alive and reach his home town in Maine, accompanied by other survivors, but Clayton soon realizes his son has a cell phone. Clayton faces the horrible truth about the condition of his son, Johnny, as he finally reaches home after his long journey across America.      
Audience: The audience for this book is older teens and adults because of the language and mature content it contains.    
Writing Style:
Description - Stephen King’s writing style is very creative and is filled with imagery and descriptive language. He also uses diction that is enjoyable and relatable to readers, and uses humor in his writing.
Passage - “‘You must have missed March of the Penguins,” Alice said.
“Actually I did,” Tom said. “When I want to see someone waddle in a tuxedo, I go to a French restaurant.”’(King 125)
Vocabulary:
Word: rapt  Definition: adj. carried off spiritually to another place, sphere of existence, etc.
Sentence & page it came from: “Clay watched, fascinated, as if it slid partially aside, revealing one rapt and blink less eye.”(King 199)    
Word: declamatory   Definition: adj. merely oratorical or rhetorical; stilted
Sentence & page it came from: “ Silence, except for the cawing of crows. Then Jordan spoke, flat and declamatory.”(King 376)    
Passage #1: “‘Hey, Johnny-Glee,” he said, “Fo-fo-you-you.” And pressed the cell against his son’s ear.”(King 449). This was the last sentence in the book. This is when Clay decides the only way to save his dying son is to let “The Pulse” turn him into a zombie. This passage stuck with me because it shows the love he has for his son, and the things we will do for the people we love.    
Passage #2: “For a little while he drowned them out with his own.”(King 376). This passage stuck with me because it describes Clay right after he witnessed the murder of a friend. He realizes the horrors of what has happened to the world, and how the human race has changed.
Theme: I think the main theme of this book is morality and whether or not one can justify doing horrific acts in order to survive. For example, in the book they kill multiple zombies and just a few days ago those zombies were normal, living, human beings. Was it morally right to kill those people? Another example of this theme is the overall journey of the survivors in this book, and how they had to choose between fighting hard or doing the so called “right thing”.
Letter Grade: I would give this book an A. I absolutely loved this book. It was full of action, suspense, and thrill. I love books that explore than idea of an apocalypse, so this book was perfect for me.

14 comments:

  1. A block- JR

    I started reading this book a couple years ago. It was somewhat interesting, but I never did like reading Stephen King's works, so I never finished it. I hope this is made into a movie soon though. I didn't get to the part about his son, but that's ok because I wasn't planning to finish the book. I can't agree with your letter grade. The book dragged on and there wasn't enough action to keep me interested. Apocalyptic books are the best, and zombies definitely raise what I would give it as a grade, but it didn't interest me enough to keep reading. There really wasn't enough humor in it, and the description and imagery took away from the plot. If it were made into a movie, I would see it, but otherwise I can't say this was a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A block-PM
    After reading the summary of this book I would really like to read it. It sounds very interesting and will keep my interest the entire way through. I liked that you didn't give much away in the summary, and i learned a lot through it. If I was to ever read this book I would understand the plot very well. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E-MC
    Extra Credit
    I have read a few of Stephen Kings novels and most of them are very good. I do agree that the audience of the book is for older teens to adults due to the content and language. I have yet to read Cell, but because of this summary I may have to go pick it up. I feel like it would be a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. E-NC

    I have not read this book but it seems very interesting. The quote of the last sentence was powerful because you said it was the father turning his son into a zombie to save him. This book does seem a lot about doing whatever possible to save someone or trying to do the right thing. The summary is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like the type of novel that I would be interested in. It has drama and action, from what I have read from the summary and the description. I am curious to see how the book turns out. Will Clayton save his son? I think the theme in this novel makes sense even though I have not read it, it seems like it would do with morality. I wonder how the author depicts this, whether the characters will do the right thing or just do whatever they can to stay alive.
    -Anna Kosciolek

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read this book yet but from the summery you wrote and what you told me in person it seems like something that I would enjoy. His writing is always a bit creepy with an imagination worth taking the time to read. Some of his works I know have been made into movies on the television and I was wondering if this was one of them. Something I’ll have to look into.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book really seems suspenseful and a thrill to read. It also seems like a book that someone would never want to put down. Just the thought of zombies in a story grabs many peoples interests, like mine. The theme is really good and many people may be able to relate to it. The decision that the father has to make in the end is a very hard one. But I don't understand how turning his son into a zombie would help him? Won't they have to killl him?

    E- CC

    ReplyDelete
  8. E-AS
    This book seems very interesting. I would definitely be interested in reading it. The writing style is usually what I look for in a book, and I really like the writing style of Stephen King. I think this book would be a suspenseful book. It seems like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. C/TS
    I have never been very interested in Stephen Kings writing style. However with this book synopsis, i maybe will have to read it sometime. It seems to have good action and drama and with everyone else agreeing that its a good book i will read it

    ReplyDelete
  10. From what I've heard about King's novels it seems that they are all very intense. He has been know for writing literature that keeps the reader on the edge of their chair. He always does a good job with zombies and other such creatures, creating a exhilarating story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A- RL
    This book sounds very intense. I have never read a Steven King book, but I think I might have to read one at some point. I love horror books, and this book sounds perfect. I know some of Steven King’s books have been made into movies and I was wondering if this book was made into one. There seems like there would be some very suspenseful scenes, like the decision that the father has to make in the end. That must be hard. It seems like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read this book, but i am currently very anxious to do so. I have read multiple books by Stephen King and i have loved every single one. This book sounds like i would read it quickly because I like the sound of it. I agree that Stephen King's books are mainly for the mature audience because of the writing style. The first two passages make me laugh a bit so I definitly think that this book would be good for me because i like books to keep me excited and by the sound of it, I feel that this book can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stephen King is a great author. I think it's cool how you found out about this book. The plot seems very intresting and action packed which is definitely something I would read. The passage about the penguins in tuxedos made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A - KL
    Definitely seems like a book i'd like to read. I've read a few of Stephen King's other books and this one seems great. Creepy to think most of his work invovles life experiences and his dreams.

    ReplyDelete