Wednesday, March 17, 2010

How I Live Now

Book Title: How I Live now Author: Meg Rosoff
Pages: 194 Publisher: Wendy lamb books
Why did you decide to read the book?
I wanted to read this book because, there was just something about this book that just got my attention, and I enjoyed reading. This was one of the first books that I have like in a while, and I am glad I liked it.
Brief Summary of Book (6-8 sentences): This book is about a young girl that has been sent to England from New York. She stays with her cousins that she has never met before in her life. In England a war breaks out and there aunt is at work and cannot get back home to the house. So they are on their own living li9fe with no rules and doing what they want to do. But one day a army guy came to their house and took it over so all the cousins had to break up from each other and go on with their lives.
Audience: The Audience attracts kids from the age of 13 and up. I think even some adults might like this read especially if there English.
Writing Style: The author uses formal writing, and no big words its an easy read.
Description – the book is a love story with a little war involved.
Passage -
Vocabulary: the vocabulary is modern and there are rarely words I stumble upon I don’t know.
Word- mnemonic Definition-assistor or intended to assist the memory.
Moronic-a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.
Sentence & page it came from
Pg.71 – I started making up a mnemonic the way I used to do in school bit it was hard to keep it straight since I had to keep adding words on as we went along, and whoever named these places wasn’t doing it with any particular pattern in mind.
Pg.57-we must have looked pretty moronic just staring at him with our mouths open because he said perhaps I should speak to your mother or father and then Osbert puffed himself up like he was going to make a big speech and said there’s only us.
Passage #1: And after a little while of this my brain and my body and every single inch of me that was alive was flooded with the feeling that I was starving, starving, starving for Edmond.
Passage #2: And what a coincidence, that was the feeling I loved best in the worlf.
Theme: The theme of this book is love and it shows it out through the book.
Letter Grade:

14 comments:

  1. A Block MB
    This book sounds like it has a lot of action packed into it. The passages sound like the author writes with a lot of feeling. I dont think ive read a book like this before, im not quite sure if i wuold read this book either, it doesnt sound like something that id really be too into. Both your vocabulary words are words that ive never seen before. Your passages really show the theme and how the author writes with so much feeling put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems different. It doesn't seem like it's any if the kind of books that I would normally read. I can see how love would be a theme. It's even in the passages that the reader chose. I like that this book isn't like all the other ones. Not only does love play into this but so does loneliness and war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E-MC
    Extra Credit
    I have never read this book or heard of it for that matter. How I Live Now seems like an interesting book that really got my attention just by the title. I was instantly curious and was hoping to learn more about it. I feel like the way Meg Rosoff writes you would learn a lot about each character and easily connect to them. This novel seems very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C-MC
    I read this book a couple years ago. I found it very interesting. It was much different then a book i have ever read before. I found the relationship because this girl and her cousin a little weird, but in some weird way i actually thought it was a decent book. I definetly agree that it was an easy read too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this book sounds very interesting. I feel as if while reading the book I would be able to picture the things that were happening. This is definitely a book that I would consider reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A- AML
    This book reminds me of a book that I read when I was little. I use to read the American Girl doll books and one of them was about a little girl who moves in with strangers because ther is a war going on at her home. It's a little different, but they are similar. I don't think I'd read it though because it doesn't seem like a book I would be that interested in. I don't love books about war, so I'm not sure if I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. E- AK
    This sounds like an interesting book. It must have been difficult for the kids to live by themselves without any adults around. And it was probably harder when they were separated by the soldier. This book seems like it could happen especially in a time of war. I would like to read this book because it has a plot that is unlike anything i have ever come across. Overall this seems like like a really good book

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this book a few years ago, and I loved it. Out of all of the books I've read for summer reading, I'd say that this is one of my favorites. The plot and characters are really interesting, so I was entertained throughout the whole novel. I agree with the poster that the theme of this book is love, because it is the central focus driving the plot. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to read a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. E- CC
    From the passages, it is easily understood how the characters feel about certain things in the book. I usually enjoy love stories, but not so much war stories. I've never read a love/war story so maybe one day I will have to check it out. It does seem very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this book for a summer reading choice, and it was pretty interesting. The character development is great, and it makes the book better because you can really start to get to know the characters. I also liked that this book included both war and love, because it makes the story intense. I would recommend this book to anyone because it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never read this bok nor any other that was written by this author. The book caught my attention right away because of the title. This book sounds like there is a ton of events packed into it and that the author writes with emotion. I do not think this book would be a good choice for me personally, but I feel that a lot of girls would like this book. Overall, it sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A-CL-EC
    I would think that I would enjoy this book, though I know what everyone will think when I say this but I like books with a major problem and either leaves a cliffhanger or ends in disaster. Does that make me a weird person? I don't think so. Though I don't really like war books, I think I'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. E-AR
    I read this book coming into or going out of freshman year. I really liked the book, but not until the end. I remember it was very hard for me to keep reading it in the beginning. If I remember correctly, I was really surprised about the whole Edmund thing, but I think that was what got me to keep reading. I enjoyed your first paragraph, because it really showed her desperation for Edmund. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A-ML
    I read this book going into freshman year, and i liked it. I did think it was a little strange though, because she goes and visits her cousins, but she ends up falling in love with her cousin. Even though it was weird to read about their relationship, I found that I forgot about halfway through the book that they were even cousins and got past it. Besides that, I really enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete