Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lost Names

Book Title: Lost Names
Author: Richard E. Kim   
Pages: 200  
Publisher: University of California Press, Ltd.

Why did you decide to read the book? I decided to read this book because its not the type of book that I would normally read. I thought it might be interesting to read about something that probably wouldn't intrigue people in my age range. Also, after I got through the first chapter I kept on reading because I wanted to find out what happened at the end of the book.
     
Brief Summary of Book (6-8 sentences): This book is about a young boy (whose name is never mentioned) and the experiences that he goes through living in Korea, at the height of the Japanese occupation (1932-1945). The occupiers force the Koreans to renounce their own last names and adopt Japanese ones instead. The book follows the young boy and his family through the Japanese occupation to the surrender of the Japanese empire.
Audience: I think that this book is recommended for both teens and adults. There are some scenes in the book that are inappropriate for a younger audience. Also, the material would be hard for a younger audience to understand. It would probably confuse and disinterest them.
Writing Style: The writing style is very descriptive. Richard E. Kim always describes the setting, the people, personalities and minor details. He does a good job at giving the reader a visualization of what's going on in each scene.
Description - In this scene of the book, the boy is just a baby and his mother had just gotten off a train leading to Manchuria. The boy's father had gotten led off of the train to get questioned and ended up getting beaten. The boy's mother does not want to leave her husband, so she exits the train into the winter night in order to reunite with him.
Passage - "The silvery snow flurries are dancing in the air, whishing and roaring, as if cleansing the lingering rays of the bloody sun from the northern sky.. The air is cool and fresh and she prays." (pg. 11)
Word- Pulverized      
Definition- (verb) To reduce to dust or powder, as by pounding or grinding; to demolish or crush completely.    
Sentence & page it came from- "..with gluey paste mixed with pulverized glass, so that one is able to cross the string with those of other kites and cut them off-" (pg. 68)
     
Word- Kerosene    
Definition- (noun) A mixture of liquid hydrocarbons obtained but distilling petroleum, bituminous shale, or the like, and widely used a fuel, cleaning solvent, etc.    
Sentence & page it came from- "Ahead of us, a young farmer stands by the orchard's gate with a kerosene lantern." (pg. 84)  
Passage #1: "She says to herself she can't cry, she mustn't cry, she she must be brave." (pg. 11)
Passage #2: "And I know my eyes are filling with tears. I fight back the tears and swallow a big lump in my throat." (pg. 37)
     
Theme: I think the theme of this book is staying strong. The boy and his family go through a lot while undergoing the Japanese occupation, but they still manage to pull together and stay strong until the Japanese are overthrown.
Letter Grade: I believe that I should get a B- or above on this assignment. I took my time reading this book and finished it in a short period of time. I put in a lot of effort with my book cover, and answering the questions for this assignment. Also, it is hard to be descriptive when answering some of these questions because added description will give away some of what happens in the book, so I tried to be reasonably brief.

8 comments:

  1. This book seems interesting to me because it shows how a boy must grow up when he is surrounded by hardships that invade his life and prevent him from reaching his goals. It teaches us to be strong and confident. History has always been littered with wars and brawls, this book shows it from a different perspective of a young Japanese boy rather than from the American standpoint or an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A block- PM
    This book seems like it might be able to keep my interest. I definatly like the plot of this book, but I think it might be a little to descriptive. I like a book with more action than description, and it doesn't seem to be that way. The part where the guards take the dad away sounds like one of the most action packed parts, and I personally don't like war books that describe absolutly everything. Overall the project was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this book sounds very interesting and a good read. I think it has a good plot. It sounds like it has a good lesson and that you should always follow your dreams no matter what obstacles come your way. I don't think I would ever read this because I hate war books, I find them way to boring. I think you did a very good job describing the book.
    E-block:MD

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book seems sad. I would hate it if I had to change my name. I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to do some of the things that the reader describes in their paper. I think the theme fits the overall plot of the book. To go through something this big and hard, you need to be strong... know that you will overcome it. Overall, the book sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. E-block/KT
    I also read this book too and thought it was okay. The book is so easy to understand and follow along. I really like your summary because it doesn't give too much away of the story. I could never imagine living in that time period and having to change my name.
    Great book choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. E- AK
    I have never read this book but I feel like it would be a good experience to understand more about history and other people. In my history class we are talking about world war two and how Japan took over Korea. I think that reading this book would help me to understand what we are learning about better. I could not imagine changing my name and my customs that I am so familiar with to ideas that I do not even understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never read this book, but if I come across looking for a book I might consider this one. History is my favorite topic so I think that I would really like this book. The passages prove to be very interesting and it makes me think about the time period back then and how society was. I have never read a book where the main characters name was no mentioned so that would be a first. I feel that I would enjoy this book and I hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete